National Institute of Cancer Research & Hospital (NICRH) offers an energetic and dynamic environment and staffed by well trained professionals dedicated to cancer patient management, education and research. This is the only tertiary level center of the country engaged in multidisciplinary cancer patient management.
It started its activity in a tin-shade building of Dhaka Medical College Hospital 1982, soon it is shifted to the present location at Mohakhali in 1986. According to a Memorandum of Understanding signed between Ministry of Health and Rotary Club of Dhaka the latter built the Rotary Cancer Detection Unit (RCDU) and the Cancer Institute started working as an outdoor cancer detection unit only. In 1991, 50 bed indoor facilities incorporated. In 1994 the cancer institute renamed as National Institute of Cancer Research & Hospital (NICRH) and first radiation treatment was applied to a patient in 1995 with a Cobalt 60 Teletherapy machine.
With provision of support from the Saudi Fund for Development (SFD) the up gradation works of this Institute to 300 bedded Center has been completed. In April 2015 Hon’ble Minister for Health & Family Welfare Mohammad Nasim M.P. officially inaugurated the 300 bed hospital.
- To provide quality cancer treatment
- To make a centre of excellence in the country
- To carry out research and disseminate the knowledge and findings
- To establish a nationwide cancer registry system
- To take necessary steps for cancer prevention and control
- All diagnostic activities- for cancer detection
- All kinds of treatments- surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy etc.
- Hospital Based Cancer Registry
- It has formulated National Guidelines for high- quality, cost- effective cancer treatment plan for 4 common cancers of our country.
- Different training programs- for health professionals –histopathologists, gynecologists, nurses, technologists, community leaders etc.
- Organizing tobacco prevention & cessation programmes in the community.
- Participation in national activities- such as observance of World Cancer Day, World Pediatric Cancer Day, No Tobacco Day, Breast & Cervical cancer awareness month and chalking out of special Breast Cancer Screening Campaign in the victory month of December from 2015.
- Telemedicine services
- Publication of NICRH journal
- Palliative care services
- Academic activities